Thus my stumbling onto the H4n from Zoom, today, was a bit startling.
I was not prepared for what this little gizmo is supposed to be able to do. Check this out:
- Built-in stereo mic, rather cleverly arranged.
- Can act as an external mic for a video recorder.
- Changeable SD/SDHC cards for storage.
- Variable speed playback without altering pitch (i.e., phrase trainer).
- Various standard recorder features (autoplay, filesharing, etc.).
- Two combination XLR / 1/4" inputs with preamps. (!!!)
- Modes for recording in simple stereo, two stereo tracks, or true multitrack recording.
- Can apply DSP effects when multitrack recording. (!!!)
- Onboard audio editing (including project-based editing when multitrack recording).
- Can act as computer recording interface.
Will cogitate further.