Sunday, October 7, 2012

Working with CGDEbGC

A bit of a documentation post here.  After some nice experiments with the DADFAD tuning over the summer, I somehow ran across the idea of CGDEbGC, and have been quite enjoying it.  This tuning has some interesting features:
  • Top three strings are standard tuning intervals.
  • Bottom three strings are the fifth intervals I know from Guitar Craft.
  • The two three-string groups are offset by a minor second (D-Eb).
  • Sixth and first strings are two octaves apart.
  • Fifth and second strings are one octave apart.
  • Open, the tuning is a Cm add9, which is nice.
  • There is an entire G harmonic minor scale in harmonics available on the fifth, fourth, third and first strings;  if you omit the subdominant note (the first harmonic on the first string) this is extremely convenient to the fingers.
Obviously there are going to be some interesting options in chord construction, but I'm not fully there yet.  I think I might get around to it, though--some of the sounds are just gorgeous.  This last week I've turned my attention to the triads on the top three strings (remember, I'm actually new to standard tuning), and thought about how to incorporate a bass note intelligently.  In that regard, having the fourth string offset a whole tone above the first string (D to C), instead of below (as with D to E), it seems more comfortable to finger the three-string triad with middle, ring and pinky fingers and leave the index finger to find the bass note, rather than relegating that role to the pinky.

Melodically, I'm finding that I'm gravitating toward the "ignore the third string" philosophy, and thinking of the basic minor scale in terms of fifths intervals for the first octave and fourths intervals for the second.

The next step with chords, once I've really got the triads down, is to tackle sevenths.  I suspect that is where I'll find out whether this can be a general purpose tuning, or should be relegated to tunes specifically composed to take advantage of it.  Depending on how the fingerings work with that fourth string, I may look at solving the problem with a polychord approach, and I admit that forcing myself to use that concept as a core portion of my playing might not be a bad thing at all.

In addition to the ongoing tuning thoughts, I've been working a little bit more deliberately on a controlled three-string burst with the right hand, ascending (i-m-a).  For whatever reason, my fingers have always seemed to be pretty comfortable with such a cascade descending (a-m-i), but I've been impatient with the reverse and haven't given it the attention it deserves.  In trying to incorporate it into my triad work on the top three strings, my ear has something much more specific to focus on and it's suddenly started to improve. 

Yay!

No comments: